Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How to : application to UOS (University of Seoul)

SO, I'm skipping the introduction since everyone who is going to be reading this already knows me. I'll get to how to apply to the UOS and all the papers and BS basically you need to do.



FIRST THING;getting approval from your home university
------------------------------------------------------------
1. Make sure that your University has a partnership with UOS, as far as I know only Universities with partnerships with UOS can apply for the exchange program 
2. Talk to your academic Advisor about the courses you would be taking and see how this fits into your University program
3. You need to fill out a Letter of Permission & Transfer credit form
4. You need to go to the person at your university and get them to figure out what courses your taking at UOS would be at your University, IE) Beginner Korean at UOS, is called KOR1000 at my University. Just to figure out what its relative too. Then you need a signature from the Dean saying they are allowing you to go study abroad and confirm your good standing at the University
5. Apply to your University saying that you are interested in the program at UOS
6. wait FOREVER to hear back if the Univeristy is letting you, then you can start the process of applying to actual UOS =____=
7. Your University after your accepted, will then nominate you to attend the UOS, then when the UOS accepts the nomination, you can proceed to fill out applications to UOS. Even though they accepted the nomination, your still not 100% accepted untill you get your acceptance letter! They may change their minds if there infact is not enough room for you at UOS. 

SECOND THING; getting accepted to UOS
-------------------------------------------------------
1. Make sure your Passport is up to date and wont expire anytime soon
2. You need proof of overseas Health Insurance, my family wasnt able to get proof of it ( even though we had it;;;So we needed to buy insurance to prove it)
3. You need a copy of your official transcript 
4. Complete the UOS summer exchange application form
5. You need a copy of your passport
6. Also, they want 3 copies of your passport photo attached to the application form
7. Hand that all in before the application deadline
8. WAIT AGAIN =_____= to hear if Seoul University accepts you
*** If you are going to Seoul for longer than 90 days, you will need to apply for a visa!

THIRD THING; ( Currently in this section;;)
-----------------------------
1. If you are going on a long weekend trip ( At UOS you can choose to go to Southern Korea, Japan or Beijing..I chose Beijing) you need to apply for a visa ! I need to apply for  Chinese visa and you NEED the visa before you get to Korea!!! There are ALOT of rules for making a Chinese visa, so make sure you follow them
2. Book a flight! You need to send your flight itinerary to your University as well.
3. Get your Letter of Acceptance from Seoul ( I just got this today, I booked my flight weeks ago, they basically accept everyone so they said it was fine that I buy my tickets)
4. You need to pay for an administration fee & tuition. at UOS they reimburse you for 500,000 won for your airline ticket and tuition. Tuition is payable to your home university for how ever many credit hours
5. You will need to pick up a confirmation of participation letter from the Home University which shows the conditions and terms that you agree to upon accepting going to a foreign country.
6. You will need to register for your courses at UOS, I haven't done this yet, so I'm not quite sure how it will be done;; 
7. Before you leave UOS, you need to request a copy of your transcript from them so you can bring it back to your Home university. 
Email I got from my University saying my nomination from Seoul is accepted


The acceptance letter from Seoul I just got today

The booklet I got from my University outling the Summer Exchange program at UOS


No comments:

Post a Comment